Under 18 Schools Cup Final won by Repton School

Tuesday 08 May 2018By ESFA Office

Last Updated:
18/05/2018 11:47:17

In the glorious bank holiday sunshine, Milfield School took on Repton School in the rearranged Under 18 Schools Cup for Boys. The match had originally been scheduled to take place in March but the day was a washout and the game was cancelled due to the poor conditions. As with British weather, Sunday saw polar opposite conditions, with glorious sunshine for the rescheduled fixture. The weather wasn’t the only thing that was hot that day, as the football was scorching.

The match opened with a quick tempo, as both teams worked the ball from end to end with short quick passing. Some intricate interplay between Pieter Stein, Stuart Lamont and Ben Le Rougetel saw Lewis Goldsworthy in on goal; however, a late covering tackle by Oliver Hickman denied the striker. Millfield continued to attack as they won a free kick on the right edge of the area. The ball swung into the on-rushing Teo Teniente, who got his head on the ball but sent his effort high and wide. Repton showed great tenacity in their high press through the first half. Repton looked threatening through their wingback, Mathew Bowman, finding space to play dangerous crosses into the box. Neither team would be able to break their opponents within the opening third, as both sides worked chances only to be denied by remarkable defending.

The opening goal came from a magical moment from a Reptons’ Jake Raine. Repton had worked the ball from he left to the right wing with Bowman, who cut the ball inside to Otis Williams. Williams’ effort was blocked by Millfield and ESFA Under 18 captain, Cormac Pike, whose clearance landed at the feet of Raine, who hit a dipping shot low to the right of the diving Robbie Scott, before nestling in the bottom corner of the net.

Unfortunately, in the build up to the goal, Millfields’ Stuart Lamont would get his studs trapped in the turf while turning and seriously injure his knee. Everyone at ESFA would like to wish Stuart well and hope he has a speedy recovery.

The injury caused a lengthy delay in play and ten minutes of injury time to be played at the end of the half. Following the injury both sides struggled to keep the same rhythm as they had enjoyed earlier as both sides struggled to retain possession and would look to play fast football on the break.

Both sides came out after the break looking revitalised as an end to end game of football opened up again. Neither side were able to craft a goal in spite of a number of opportunities. After ten minutes more space would open up as a deft pass from Otis Williams would put Elliot Killington one on one with the Millfield goalkeeper. His shot flashed past the keeper but rattled off the crossbar and away to safety through the Millfield fullback.

As the game progressed, chances became scarce as Repton looked to maintain the advantage. However, Millfields’ Rafa Pereira would craft something from nothing as the diminutive trequartista curled the ball from the edge of the area toward the top corner of the net. The spectacular shot only matched by the outstretched glove of Milan Stanjevic in the Repton goal.

Repton nearly extend their lead shortly after as they were awarded a free kick on the half way line. Their captain Luke Tandy floated the ball into the area, the first header went directly up in the air before Artem Aliev would charge the ball and his header ricocheted off the outside of the post.

As the game continued, Millfield began to have the better of the match, camping in the Repton half. Their continuous attack left them exposed at the back as Repton broke with pace. Elijah Sawyers broke into the box before Tom Buffin slotted the ball past Robbie Scott from the six yard box.

Repton doubling their lead did not discourage Millfield, who poured forward. Rafa Periera would cut in on his right foot and curl his shot to the far bottom corner that was turned round the post. Minutes later, Pereira cut back in on his right and shot to the other side of the keeper. Leaving Scott stranded, the ball fired up off of the crossbar, narrowly denying Millfield the route back into the match they had battled for. Pereira sustained the driving force behind Millfield as the game moved into added time. Pereira rolled the ball through the legs one man and turned sharply on the edge of the area before playing in Toby McCallum who flicked the ball up before smashing a volley into the bottom left hand corner.

Millfield continued to pour forward as the game ticked into the 96th minute but their endeavours would go without reward as the referee drew the 2017/18 Under 18 Schools Cup for Boys to a close and crowned Repton as National Champions.

The ESFA would like to thank both teams in their cooperation in getting this match played and thank both sides for a brilliant game of football. Commiserations to Millfield who performed admirably through the tournament. We would also like to congratulate Repton School for their success this season.

Once again, ESFA pass our best wishes on to Stuart Lamont who sustained a serious injury during the first half of the match. We hope he has a speedy recovery.



We use cookies to improve your online experience. For information on the cookies we use and for details on how we process your personal information, please see our cookie policy and privacy policy. By continuing to use our website you consent to us using cookies.