Match Report: Centenary Shield – England 0 – 2 Scotland

Monday 26 March 2018By ESFA Office

Last Updated:
10/02/2021 11:50:18

England took on Scotland in their second home match of the Centenary Shield on Friday 23 March:

On Friday evening, the England Schoolboys’ squad took to the pitch at York City to take on Scotland in their second game in the Centenary Shield. Bootham Crescent hosted over 800 supporters under the Friday night lights to see a fierce rivalry, as Scotland won on English soil for the first time since the year 2000.

The game had a frantic opening as both sides looked to press the back line and deny their opponents the chance to retain possession. Neither team would be able to craft openings as long balls would be dealt with by both teams commanding centre backs. England began to have success through the left with Ogunride’s direct running causing the Scottish backline issues. However, the first major opportunity fell the way of the visitors when Sam Walker played in Daniel MacKay on the Scottish left. MacKay beat Crowther on the edge of the area before being brought down by Ethan Brookes inside the area, causing the referee to point at the spot. MacKay stepped up to take the penalty, attempting to place it in the bottom right hand corner but was denied by the outstretched hand of Callum Coulter. The ball would, moments later, be gathered by Reece Rintoul wide on the right, swinging a cross deftly onto the head of the leaping MacKay who placed the ball into the far corner of the net.

Following the Scots’ goal, there would be sustained English pressure as they looked to draw level. King Baidoo showed a good link with Ogunrinde to craft opportunities, winning a series of corners with their interplay. However, the tactical approach and discipline of the Scots paid dividends as they denied the English passing options and forced long balls which the towering Scottish defence could easily deny. The score remained unchanged for the remainder of the half as England ended up 1-0 down at the break.

After the break the Scots came out attacking, with substitute Alex Kemp putting a close-range header narrowly wide of the post. The tackling would become more robust, with bookings beginning to come liberally. Two of the Scottish players were booked five minutes into the half for late tackles on the tireless Sam McCallum. England’s’ Baidoo was next in the book for a supposed dive after going down in the box after a collision with Nathan Brown.

The English began to dominate for extended periods of play, however, the game would be changed after captain Pike was shown a straight red card for a two footed tackle on Nathan Fell with fifteen left to play.

The Scots had the chance to double their lead after Harwood found himself able to get a strong shot in at the keepers near post. However, the ball shot across the goal line before one of the English rear-guard were able to clear the ball. Reece Rintoul would pick up the 6th booking of the game for a needless tackle in the centre circle as the oldest rivalry in football began to boil over.

With 6 minutes of added time to be played, the English threw caution to the wind looking to salvage a point from the game, however, this would leave defensive frailties as the 10 men were stretched. This forced Noah Smerdon into some spectacular last ditch defending. Despite Smerdon and Co.’s best efforts at the back, little could be done to deny Nathan Fell from picking up the ball with 25 yards and 5 English defenders blocking his path to goal. Fell shifted the ball onto his left foot then with the magic that only football can provide, struck the ball sweetly and curled it beyond the diving Coulter into the far corner of the net.

The next game England will play in the centenary shield will be against Wales at Cardiff Met University on Thursday night.

Thank you to York City FC for hosting the second of two England home matches in the Centenary shield. Photos from the match can be found on official ESFA photographer, 353 Photography’s website and the full match will be available to replay on the ESFA’s YouTube Channel, ESFA TV.

Team Line ups:

England: Coulter; Brooks (Colling 45), Crowther (Ajayi-O'Connor 90+5), Pike, Smerdon; Ogunrinde (Butler 71), Jackson (Penny 87), Doyle, McCallum; Baidoo, Howell (Neligwa 43). Unused substitutes: Deda, Gould.

Scotland: Anderson; McKeown, Brown, McDowall, Clark; Walker (Harwood 64), Rintoul, Walsh, Mackay (Watt 81); Scott (Fell 74), Hodge (Kemp 45). Unused substitutes: Currid, Chalmer, Fagan.

Archived News


Season 2017-2018

March 2018


We use cookies to improve your online experience. For information on the cookies we use and for details on how we process your personal information, please see our cookie policy and privacy policy. By continuing to use our website you consent to us using cookies.